Some day in August or September, it hits me: There are only X number of days (and X number of paychecks) before the 12th Night Giveaway. I always plan to start the prize-gathering process well in advance, but you know how well that typically works out.
Still, I truly love scouring the internet, conferences, second-hand shops and everywhere else, looking for awesome Sherlockian gifts. Because, let’s face it. Even when people know you’re passionate about Sherlock Holmes, they may not know how to go about shopping for you. There may be questionable DVDs, or bobbleheads, or headwear in your stocking next week. This year and every year, as long as health and “wealth” permit, I hope to be your Sherlockian Elf–bringing just a little bit of Baker Street into your home for the holidays. *
But you gotta earn it.
The theme for this year’s trivia contest is “Straight Outta Canon,” meaning that every question is derived from the short stories and novels penned by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. No movies. No television shows. No pastiches, no biography and no history. They won’t be ridiculously obscure, but they will hopefully make you do a little reading. Speaking of which, here are this years’ rules. There are a couple of modifications, so do give them a once-over.
12th Night Give-Away Rules
- The quiz and giveaway will be conducted via this blog and FaceBook only, although I will also refer people to the question once per day via Twitter.
- The questions will (obviously) have to do with Sherlock Holmes, and can be found in the Canon. I may or may not provide the story title, but you can find free copies of the novels and short stories online. I will put up a separate post with links.
- The contest will begin on December 24th, 2014 and continue until January 6th, 2015, when the last winner will be announced. And yes, this is more than twelve nights. Because Christmas Eve is my favorite.
- In order to encourage people to answer more questions, this year people will be allowed to win TWICE during the regular phase of the give-away, and all will be eligible to try for the grand prize, no matter how many times he or she has won previously.
- If I receive only one answer for a question and it’s wrong…ok, that person wins. But next time, do your research. If I am wrong, well, I will be very happy to have it pointed out!
- I will post the questions by 1 am EST every morning. Sometime during the day, as life permits, I will gather the names of those who answered the previous day’s question and place them in a box. One of my children will then draw from the correct answers to determine the day’s winner, and I will announce it on the blog and FaceBook sometime during that day.
- To answer a question, please leave a comment here on the blog, PM me on FaceBook, or DM me on Twitter. Blog comment answers will be kept private. In this way, I hope to avoid concerns some might have with others simply “copying” answers.
- For questions with two winners, you must specify which prize you want when you submit your answer. This keeps me from having two winners who want the same prize. If you do not specify a prize on your entry, I cannot place you in the drawing. I know that might be harsh, but hunting everyone down to see which prize they want before the drawing would be time-consuming, and allow for a greater chance of error.
- If you win, I will ask you to message me privately with your mailing address. After I mail your prize, I will delete the address. Please let me know if you do not receive your prize.
- The daily prize will be announced, so that you can decide if it’s something that appeals to you.
- If a prize has no takers, I will use it for a future giveaway.
- I will do my best to contact winners. If, however, I do not hear from a winner, that prize will be used for a future giveaway if unclaimed by February 12, 2015 (Mycroft’s birthday). I cannot tag some of you on Facebook, so PLEASE check back to see if you have won. I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS!!!
- At this point, I can’t see that geography will be a factor in anyone’s ability to participate. However, unless otherwise specified, videos are all Region 1 only, so please make sure your DVD player is either Region 1, or an All Region model.
- I will ship prizes starting the week of December 29th. Be patient, because shipping can take time, depending on where you live.
- We’re not talking blue carbuncles, here, just small tokens. All decisions are final. If your prize is damaged in shipping, contact me privately.
- If you’ve already won twice, you can, of course, continue to answer questions. You can also answer questions and specify that you don’t want the prize on offer, or that you never want a prize. This happened a lot last year, and it was fun!
- Brett and Mom–sorry, immediately family are not eligible. Also, as always, no Napoleons of Crime.
*”Wealth” being my husband. Who is really the greatest sport ever.