Well, as all of you know, we have a special day coming up quickly…. Yes, that’s right–on January 6th, we’ll be celebrating the [does math] 159th birthday of Sherlock Holmes! I wanted to do something a little special to celebrate, and the ever-helpful and creative Carrie Ann convinced me that it would indeed be possible to do a “Twelve Nights” giveaway without courting a Major Marital Fuss. After a few evenings hunting every nook and cranny of the internet for Sherlockian Stuff, I think I’ve got a nice pile of loot to share with all of you.
But, of course, you have to earn it first!
I realize that not all of my “followers” are heavily invested, so rather than holding random drawings and seeming stalker-y by contacting people out of the blue, asking for an address, I decided to go with a voluntary trivia quiz. Here are the Rules:
- The quiz and giveaway will be conducted via this blog and FaceBook only, although I will also refer people to the question once per day via Twitter.
- The questions will (obviously) have to do with Sherlock Holmes. I will use the Canon, the Granada series, the Rathbone series, the BBC series, and Doyle’s personal life. Every answer will be internet-searchable, so don’t worry if you’ve not seen or read everything, or have a mind like a sieve.
- The contest will begin on December 24th, 2012 and continue until January 6th, 2013. I know this is more than 12 nights, but I just thought of another prize….
- You can only win once. I know, I know, but we must be fair.
- If I have only one answer for a question and it’s wrong…ok, that person wins. But next time, do your research.
- I will post the questions before 9 am EST every morning, and wait 24 hours. I will then draw names from the correct answers (probably using one of my kids) to determine that day’s winner, and announce it sometime during that day.
- To answer a question, please leave a comment here on the blog, PM me on FaceBook, or DM me on Twitter. Blog comment answers will be kept private. In this way, I hope to avoid concerns some might have with others simply “copying” answers. 🙂
- If you win, I will ask you to message me privately with your mailing address. After I mail your prize, I will delete the address. Please let me know if you do not receive your prize.
- The daily prize will be announced, so that you can decide if it’s something that appeals to you.
- If a prize has no takers, I will use it for a future giveaway.
- I will do my best to contact winners. If, however, I do not hear from a winner, that prize will be used for a future giveaway if unclaimed by February 12, 2013 (Mycroft’s birthday).
- At this point, I can’t see that geography will be a factor in anyone’s ability to participate. However, videos are all Region 1 only, so please make sure your DVD player is either Region 1, or an All Region model.
- I will ship prizes once per week. Be patient, because shipping can take time, depending on where you live.
- We’re not talking blue carbuncles, here, just small tokens. All decisions are final. If your prize is damaged in shipping, contact me privately.
- Brett and Mom–sorry, immediately family are not eligible. Also, no Napoleons of Crime.
Ok! I think that covers it! This is the first time I’ve ever done something of this magnitude, so there may be “bugs” I haven’t foreseen, but we’ll work those out. Thanks for reading and commenting this year; hopefully this will end up being a fun way to celebrate for years to come!
6 responses to “Twelfth Night Blog Give-Away!!!!”
I am chagrined to say that I don’t know why February 12 is Mycroft’s birthday. Is it another Shakespearean reference, as is Holmes’ birthday?
I got it from Baring-Gould, who has his birthday as 12th February, 1847. I’m not sure how he decided on it, though. Perhaps someone else does? I tend to use the Baring-Gould chronology, since it’s the one people are most familiar with.
I bet that’s the real reason I never win a contest, I’m always related to someone who is holding the contest!!!!
Sorry, Mom! 🙂
Pingback: Twelfth Night Giveaway: Day 1 | The Well-Read Sherlockian
Pingback: Twelfth Night Giveaway: Day 2 | The Well-Read Sherlockian